Saturday, March 06, 2004

The best damned enchiladas in the whole world!

I've had my share of fast Mexican food. I don't trust enchiladas made with tortillas from a companies that have suspiciously Anglo-saxon names. These sheets of flour and water are usually wrapped around a handful of oily cheese and thrown in the microwave with some half-ass tomato sauce. My experience with enchiladas at both poor and decent Mexican restaurants was so lack luster that I really became turned off by the whole concept of eating one. Add to this that I'm slightly lactose intolerant and the enchilada becomes an anathema to my culinary gospel.

M however converted me back and created the following delight last night. Honestly, I don't think I've had anything better. Do not use the chipotle peppers that come in a can with adobo sauce. From my experience these just aren't as flavorful as using the dried ones. As an appetizer he served chiles rellenos (see further below).

3 large cooked chicken breasts, cubed or shredded
10 handmade fresh flour tortillas (small size)
1 can of red enchilada sauce
1/2 lb mushrooms sliced
4-5 stalks of green onions (scallions), chopped
1 lb. tub of sour cream
2 dried chipotle peppers , soaked in warm water until soft and chopped fine
1 lb of the sharpest cheddar cheese you can find
tabasco or any other red chili sauce
canola oil
Salt and pepper

Saute the mushrooms in about a tbsp of canola oil (adding pepper and salt to taste) until they are tender. Set them aside. Pour some of the enchilada sauce in a plate with a rim. Coat each side of a tortilla with the enchilada sauce. Place this coated tortilla on another plate and fill with a little of the other ingredients (use 1-2 tbsp of sour cream for each enchilada). Roll up and place with the bottom side down in a slightly greased glass baking dish. Repeat the described steps with the remaining tortillas and ingredients. Coat the enchiladas in the dish with a light amount of sauce and sprinkle with some cheese.
Bake in a 350F oven for 15-20 minutes.

Ay, and these things are great for breakfast the next morning. Believe me, I just happily consumed one.


Chiles Rellenos
1 Can Anaheim peppers
1/2-3/4 c cheese (preferably a mixture of mexican cheeses like cotija and queso fresco)
small amount of cheddar cheese
Salt and Pepper
3 eggs
2 tbsp milk
Chili powder

Preheat oven to 350F prepare peppers so you can stuff them. Beat the eggs and add milk, salt and pepper. Pour into a small (1 quart) baking dish. Arrange the peppers in the egg mixture so that they touch only slightly. Sprinkle cheddar cheese and a slight amount of chili powder on top. Bake in the oven until egg is cooked all the way through. I wasn't paying attention so I'll have to ask how long and edit this recipe later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home