Friday, March 26, 2004

Some Brazilian Kisses

I need a break from some of the scheduling work I've been doing for our next quarter. I'm not the best at handling logistical details so I find this work to be a real drain. Imagining myself at a party with tall cocktails concocted with mango nectar and rum sounds quite appealing right now.

I promised in some posting somewhere to look up this recipe I had once, Brazilian candies called Brigadeiro. I had these candies when I was in Brazil many years ago as a teen-ager. Speaking of reckless youth, sort of skipped out and took off on my own, running from my parents for a day when I was down there, and as you know Rio de Janeiro is not the safest place in the earth especially for a sixteen year-old foreign girl.


Brigadeiro

INGREDIENTS:
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon margarine or butter
3 tablespoon cocoa powder

Melt the butter in a double boiler over medium-low heat, and add the condensed milk, margarine and cocoa powder. Stir until combined and cook until it thickens and sticks together. You should be able to drop a bit of it in a glass of cold water and it holds it's shape when taken out. This is called the firm-ball stage.

Pour the mixture in a greased dish and let it cool to room temperature. Take small amounts of the mixture with a teaspoon and roll these into balls. Make sure that you grease your hands with oil or melted butter. I like to insert a nut or a small chocolate in the center of each ball. Roll the balls over chocolate jimmies to decorate.

Other versions:
*roll each ball in finely chopped brazil nuts, walnuts or cashews
*I made a version once where I added 1/4 c of peanut butter and omitted the butter and cocoa completely. These tasted great rolled in chopped nuts or dried flaked coconut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home