Friday, June 18, 2004

Do you ever wonder?

As you're walking out the front door to get to your car before you go to work, do you wonder whether or not this will be the last day of your life? When we watch a movie the moments before a character's death present the viewer with a a bit of foreshadowing. There's usually a maudlin moment where the characters in the scene pause to reflect, maybe there's deep focus maybe some soft-lighting or even a brief flash-back.

When the character dies, we feel the pain of regret and loss felt by the characters who still live. Sometimes I watch movies (not so much plays anymore because it's been a few years since I've seen a good one), and I realize that we need to feel empathy, fear, disgust and loss. We need to identify with the plight of characters because these feelings affirm our own feelings as well as our own existence. I'm sure you've heard this argument before from your good old professor of the humanities in some college course either that or a special on PBS... I'm sure you, like me, may have thumbed the idea aside at the time thinking, what good is that too me? How can I apply that to my own life in the real world? When I read books, I find myself getting involved with characters far more deeply than I would if I were watching a television show. Maybe it's because I feel that the characters are far more alive to me since I've re-created them in my mind.

This is why literature and stories are important. to me, at least.

Though admittedly I have not spent as much time as others reading for pleasure. Maybe this is why recently I've felt a little bankrupt or poor on the creative side. I made the decision the other day to continue working on my stand up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home