Tuesday, June 22, 2004

On reflection...

I'm still waiting to hear back about that interview I had. I've finally decided that I don't have the personality and fine tuned skills to work in a 'normal' business environment. Here's why:

During the interview, I was asked to explain some of the tools that I use to get my work done. After explaining my experience with an assortment of Macromedia tools, I made the mistake of assuming that the people interviewing me wanted a jack-of-all-trades who was skilled in using different applications and doing other tasks such as (very minor) graphic design projects. So I jokingly referred to myself as the "Wal-mart of Graphic Design." BIG MISTAKE, assuming that the interviewer has a sense of humor or will get yours, but as I've pointed out on countless occasions... I belong in this environment about as much as a shoe belongs on a hippie's foot.

Why did I do this?
Why did I do this?


Probably because I was nervous at the time.

I was once discussing different career possibilities to my supervisor, and I sort of hinted that I could never work in 'legal.' (Number one, because it takes a real Nazi without real balls to work in legal. Number two (no pun intended), it also requires you to tear yourself a new hole and then rip your soul out.) She simply laughed and replied, "Oh no you could never work there, you're such a free spirit."

What the fuck does this mean? How am I supposed to take this? I wasn't sure if it was an insult or could be taken as such in this environment. Is there something wrong with me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home