Sunday, July 18, 2004

Brown rice. It's not just for breakfast any more.

When I lived in NY for grad school, I noticed that all the Chinese restaurants around town served brown rice as well as the traditional white rice with meals.  I was astounded when asked by the waiter. Brown rice or white?  "White, of  course!" I would look at him incredulously.  What was this? Brown rice with my stir fry?
 
For years, I'd associated brown rice as chiefly a breakfast food. Brown rice as cereal with raisins, cinnamon, milk and brown sugar has always been one of my favorite breakfast treats. 
 
This morning instead of preparing in the traditional way (toasting then boiling it for 45 minutes). I had left the rice out to soak in a few cups of water overnight. I drained the rice and added two parts of water to every part of rice in a thick pot. Covered it, brought it to boil, reduced the heat to medium low and cooked it for only 20 minutes.
 
Lately, I've been considering that it might be a better option at meal times than bread and white rice, but for now I think I'll stick with my old stand by.
 
Brown rice cereal
Serves 3
1 c. short brown rice, soaked in water overnight
2. 1/3 c. water
1/4 tsp sea salt
 
Topping
Cinnamon
Golden Raisins
Toasted Almonds
Brown Sugar.
 
Prepare the rice as described above. Serve with toppings and drench with half and half or whole milk.
 
 

  
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home