Saturday, July 31, 2004

Imogene's Fried Green Tomatoes

To tell you the truth, I did not like the movie. Though the dish is one of my favorite ways to prepare tomatoes. Making fried green tomatoes is a ritual I never miss each summer, and now that I've got a garden full of them, I'm simply in heaven. I cannot escape the call of the green tomato as I prefer them to the red. The secret to truly tasty fried green tomatoes is plenty of freshly ground pepper.

Fried green tomatoes
4-5 large firm green tomatoes sliced 1/4" thick
3/4 c. corn meal
1/2 c. flour
2 large eggs
1/4 cup thick buttermilk
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
canola or corn oil.

Mix all the dry ingredients. Spread out the flour mixture in a deep plate. Beat the eggs slightly. Add the butter milk to the eggs and pour onto another plate. Salt the tomatoes lightly and coat each one on both sides first in the egg bath and then in the cornmeal and flour.

Heat about 1/4# inch deep amount of oil in a non stick skillet over medium high heat. Place the tomatoes in the hot oil and fry 4-5 minutes on each side. Tomatoes are done when lightly brown on each side. Drain over a bed of paper towels. Serve with plenty of catsup and Tabasco!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home