Monday, July 19, 2004

Men are in bars and she can't find a penis

I was once asked (and I'm not to unsure that the question wasn't directed to me because of some of my own bad choices), "Why are women so retarded when it comes to knowing a good guy from a bad one?" 
 
I think that I once postulated here that somewhere on the time line of human evolution women once sought out the aggressive and more daring members of the opposite sex with the implicit understanding that these males who pass on the 'aggressive' traits to their offspring, thus insuring their success in the world. Millions of years later this evolution has resulted in ridiculous theories about Men from Mars and Your Personal Venus.
 
I'm nearly 35 and I still can't claim that I completely understand where my sexual identity and my personal emotional needs meet. I'm just hoping lie down and wait until it all passes and I hit menopause. (Of course, I'm kidding. You must be out of your mind not to think so). But three things I have learned:
 
1.) NOT to base what I want or desire entirely on
a.) Social conventions.
b.) What my friends or other people think.
c.) What my parents want (God, that should have come first).
 
2.) To listen to myself.
 
3.) Consider who his friends are.
A person is only as good as the company they keep. And though you can assume (as I did in my twenties) that we're all individuals and in charge of our and possess our own character and personality, your friends paint a pretty good picture of what you will tolerate or what you care about. I went on a few dates with a guy then realized that it would never work when I saw that his friends all wanted to know what I did for a living and what company I worked for.
 
More, it seems to me that I see so many people both male and female who seem to think that it's okay to settle for what seems right for the stage of life they're in (ie. the house, the husband, the school district, and the patio furniture)... the only thing I can say is: Ignore your heart, and one day it'll come back and kick you in the ass

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home