Thursday, August 12, 2004

Dilbert Opiate

Dilbert really bothers me on some levels, but I've discovered recently the real reason why I can't stand the cartoon (even though I've found myself laugh my head off after reading a few of them... even considering taping one of them on the corner of my monitor screen).

I see many people enjoying Dilbert because Scott Adams so accurately paints the daily frustrations of existing in a corporate world... but none of these people attempt to adjust their behavior or even challenge the system of assinine rules (all beit I'll admit that in many cases the rules are there for a reason) that Dilbert ridicules. How many people actually have the balls to confront the Pointy Haired Boss... and call him on is convoluted ideas or misdirected policies? Or even suggest alternate courses of action? How many of us actually spend some time trying to restructure processes or policies so they fit employees needs without sacrificing the needs of the company? How many people actually question things? The corporate world is a place that encourages complacency. I suspect that the problem with this company's culture is that we have successfully imposed a culture of compliance among the loyal subjects, so much so that the spirit of innovation as well as the willingness to question processes and strategy has been squelched out of the working population. This doesn't mean that people here still don't feel frustrated. Dilbert allows us to voice our disenchantment with the corpu-borg culture in the most passive aggressive manner.

Dilbert makes the bitter pill of life in a cubicle environment easier to swallow... because it makes us laugh and and we get to express our disdain with the oppressive nature of corporate life by posting strip after strip on the walls outside our cubicles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home