Friday, September 17, 2004

I had coffee on the other campus today with a friend. He seemed to be obessed over the notion that the fundamentalist Christians were taking over the company.* I guess they've been posting their big meeting posters (printed on company paper by company plotters) promoting their meetings all over that site. He stole one and folded it up... "It was for an old event that's already over anyway," he said.

Apparently the VP of R&D is the key note speaker at their big boobah.

"That's why this company's going down the hole and our stock is in the toilet!" he insisted.
"Really," I said, "I thought it was because we weren't taking risks and were pushing too hard on foreign markets without developing a robust infrastructure."
"Oh, shut up."
"You're obessing over this arent you?"
"Yes, I am."
"Maybe you should take yoga for that."
"I'm serious..."

He was concerned that there was some sort of old boy Christian network that favored only those who shared their value system.

"You're right we are fucked," I said
"These people can't think... and excuse me for using this, I know you hate it... OUT OF THE BOX."
"Well, they did come up with that idea to build a laptop into a snowboard... and my group, we put out that Village People video. Look, you can't blame people for not being able to hit a true vein of creativity when they're overworked and exposed to the same rhetoric about valuing hardwork and discipline. No one really knows how to play around here. Maybe only in the Banana Republic Fraternity sense of the word. Even our motto promoting a healthy, happy workplace is pretty lame, Attain and enjoy yourself. Also, nothing against people who are so focused on working hard all the time, but you don't always attract the most creative or even innovative people when you seek out people who fill that sort of office persona to the T. And everything has to have a practical application... all learning, knowledge... but it's hard path to teach people to think for themselves.. that's why they have canned classes here on constructive bowel movements... oops, I mean constructive problem solving."
"I guess you're right."
"We need to get out of here."
"Yeah, I dream it every day."




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home