Friday, September 10, 2004

I've never been a fan of abstinence

or acetism, or self-sacrifice, or self-denial... I think I've let each of the deadly sins possess me at least several times in my life.

I remember reading the biography Isak Dinsen (Karen Blixen), the author of Out of Africa when I was a teenager and I remember that she asserted that fasting made her stronger. Perhaps she wasn't the best role model for a fourteen year old girl who was developing a self-awareness of her body.

I tried anorexia for about four hours... then dinner came around. The thought of throwing up my food and worse rotting my teeth deterred me from experimenting with bulemia.

But I've noticed that I cannot eat those legendary menus I was capable of downing in my teens and early twenties. Once at Oktoberfest I successfully ate (not sampled) 5 different kinds of sausage, 2 servings of saurkraut, a medium soft drink, 4 pints of beer, one marion berry sundae, a corn on the cob, coleslaw, curly fries, and a fried dough boy with raspberry jam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home