Saturday, December 11, 2004

Corporate culling

Ranting and raving (the process of skimming the so-called shit from the top of the corporate cup) is going on earlier this year. We've all been called to give our report cards at least a month earlier than last year.

No one wants to say aloud what we all fear. They're trying to thin the herd much earlier this year. No doubt hiring will increase in our third world holdings. Somehow, I fear that the ugliness at review time will increase. More and more people will be redeployed... less folks will be offered severance packages. Somehow, I feel less fearful of being cut this year, but mainly because I feel as if I've been pushed to my limit. Maybe the powers that be in the corporation are hoping that others share my sentiment and will more or less willingly call uncle.

I've been working on the same project (which was originally only supposed to take 1/4 of my working time) for 12 hours a day for the last 2 weeks. I often find myself checking my e-mail at home or as soon as I wake up in the morning. In order to meet with people on the other side of the globe. I change my hours to nightly, however, I still need to make my meetings during the day US time, so I still have to hold my normal business work hours. I took 1/2 day off yesterday so I could rest. Requiring people to work as hard as they do for as long as they do will end up being counter productive in the end. Tired and over-worked people cannot come up with the best solutions.

I really do believe that behind their (corporate heads) smiling optimism lies the understanding that they will 'require' what they can of folks before they meet their breaking point. But over the past year I've come to two conclusions that I will state bluntly:

1.) They will push the people in the US to work as hard as they possibly can because they can always hold the threat of outsourcing their job. An employee in the US can only prove their inherrent worth to the company by working harder.

2.) Those who are left after the culling is over will feed on each other.

In other news... I found out that my old group (at least a portion of the staff) has decided to hold prayer meetings. This is of course the group whom I thought was more prone to going into denial about how unhappy and dysfunctional the entire organization was. These are the same people who felt that it was okay to require people to work 60 plus hours per week. Maybe they'll become so tired and delusional that they'll start seeing god or the saints.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home