Thursday, January 27, 2005

About routine... yes, we all crave it, and people like George Burns lived long lives because of it. However, I think that when we stick to the routine in the head... that's when the soul and the heart die a slow and extended death. Failure is a part of life... if that's the case I've really lived, but wasn't it Woody Allen who said, "If you're not failing every now and then... you're playing it safe."

The routine I prefer can be found weaving through rows of knits and purls and an occasional yarn over. I find peace while setting the beat of a rhythym played out on a string and needles. When I'm not pleased with what I've made, I pull on the string and start all over again. When I'm testing a pattern I usually do it on a skein of the cheapstuff that you can get in the craft section of any convenience store. Knitting has become such a compulsion with me, that if I were denied string or yarn, I'd probably tie shoe laces together and start knitting them.

When I'm knitting a sweater that has a rather boring pattern, like the one I'm currently working on now, I have to leave it alone for a while. I actually started on this sweater about four months ago. When I was about 3/5 of the way finished, I had to stop and work on another project: knitting christmas stockings for each member of our family. A few weeks ago I started a scarf which followed the following pattern. The result was a look of irregular lace. It went extremely well with a bobbled hat I made with the same color yarn.

Bramble Berry Scarf
Materials:
Kraft yarn (18 stitches for every 4") - one large skein. For this project I used a sea green. A plum color would actually look splendid for this project. US size 8 needles

INSTRUCTIONS:
cast on 44 stitches.
Section I: (Grill row pattern - I use this pattern with scarves to increase the length of the scarf without using as much yarn. Repeating this pattern is great for creating scarves with eyelash type yarn)
Row 1: Purl the entire row
Row 2: Knit, Yarn Over (YO) 1 - repeat for the entire row. You should end up with 88 stitches total.
Row 3: Knit entire row, Droping each of the YO stitches. You should end up with 44 stitches total.
Row 4: Purl entire row

Section II: (Blackberry Bramble Pattern)
Row 1: Take the first stitch and increase (inc) 1 on the knit side, inc 1 purl side, inc 1 knit side. You should have three additional stitches off that first stitch. Purl the next 3 stitches. Repeat previous stiches until row is finished
Row 2: Purl entire row
Row 3: Repeat row 1
Row 4: Repeat row 2
Row 5: Repeat row 1
Row 6: Repeat row 2

Section II: (Garter Stitch)
Row 1: knit entire row
Row 2: same as row 1
Row 3: same as row 1
Row 4: you get the picture

Rest of pattern....
Repeat Section II,
Repeat Section I,
follow this pattern using the sections above until you have no yarn left.

Bobble Head Hat:
Please note I'm working on this pattern still. I actually knitted the hat on the fly. I guess I'm bad this way. There are times when I do not want to use an actual pattern when I knit. When I finally get photo imaging right, I'll try to post step by step photos in illustration. I finished this hat over various sittings through our entire viewing of Season 2 of The Wire.

Materials 1/2 skein of the same yarn used above.
Size eight 7" double pointed birch needles (I won't use anything other than wooden needles... plastic slides and feels uncomfortable on my fingers).

Follow the same pattern as the 1920's hat below. Increasing accordingly as I knit. When you've increased to the point that you have at least 6 stitches on each needle knit 3 stitches then follow the following pattern on this stitch:

Make small bobble:
On one stitch, K1, P1, K1, P1. You should have four stitches of the one stitch. Turn your knitting around and use the left hand needle and purl the 4 new stitches in the opposite direction. Turn your knitting back over and decrease (dec) 1 three times. knit two stitches then repeat the bobble.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home