Monday, January 10, 2005

"In a recent Gallup poll ..."

"...it was found that half the adults in America believe that the earth is 6,000 years old. The reason they give for believing this is 'the Bible says so.' "

I was just trying to do some research on the origins and history of "Scientific Method," and I received a battery of results for sites all contesting the feasability of Evolution. These people be insecure in their views to the extent that they must busy themselves trying to convince both themselves (and others) that they are correct, but such is the nature of the missionary... Missionaries are truly the most insecure people in the world. I've personally always routed for the cannibals.

It really gives me the chills... maybe they'll start attacking individuals within the scientific community. It has become a 'sin' to call anyone ignorant who renouces the benefits and teachings of science. While you cannot completely fault someone for being ignorant because they've never been exposed to education, you cannot excuse someone from forcing their ignorance on others publically. Also I won't even get into an argument with Fundamentalists in which I am to assume that renouncing proven scientific studies in genetic theory or palentology is enforceable in the schools because of their faith... or tacking on the insistence that the theory of Intelligent Design to science books. My question to them: If this too (Intelligent Design)is only a theory, could we not posit that the existence of God is a theory as well? I've always believed that this is something that progressive groups need to nail when they attempt to defend themselves. I believe in religious tolerance, however, I don't feel that the schools should be sacrificed as a battleground for these dogma pushers. If they don't want their children to receive an education which includes science, let them homeschool their children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home