Thursday, February 24, 2005

While we're on the subject of really bad interior decor and style

I have to go back to one of my favorite sites: lileks.com every now and then to have a good laugh.

Some of the more memorable images:

Freaky Deaky Door - sort of a Willy Wonka meets Silence of the Lambs theme with the colors from the opening animated spot of the "Nanny" (the show from the late 60's early 70's with the blond English Nanny - not Fran Drescher).
http://lileks.com/institute/interiors/71book/9.html

The Passion Pit? - I think I might sustain an injury while watching television in bed.
http://lileks.com/institute/motel/blue1.html

New Mascot for Phillip Morris- There are many more scary little creatures featured here, a caricature of an old man made of meat and potatoes, etc., but I really love this collage of smoking paraphenalia down to the pipecleaner hair.

http://lileks.com/institute/dayalets/4.html

Speaking of 70's chic... I recently completed a Dr. Who Scarf for J. Who has been dying to have one. I found the pattern here and I've included the text below. I used the Peruvian Highland blend yarn from elann.com (what a shameless advertisement, but hey I was happy with the product). I couldn't get all of the colors needed for the scarf, but was able to make a few substitutions using scraps from my trusty yarn basket. Colors I used in substitution for those below were the butterscotch, harvest orange, oregano, eggplant, dark grey, maroon, light brown, and forest green. I haven't quoted the names of the colors accurately here, but you get the picture. Also, being who I am I didn't follow the pattern to the letter. I know -for shame, but knowing the character of the Good Doctor and how he seemed to celebrate imperfections I thought it was appropriate.


Dr. Who Scarf:
Here is the official BBC pattern: use no.9 American needles, and start by casting on 60 stitches. Always slip the first stitch of each row. Knit rows in the following order:
8 purple
52 camel
16 bronze
10 mustard
22 rust
8 purple
20 green
8 mustard
28 camel
14 rust
8 bronze
10 purple
42 green
8 mustard
16 grey
8 rust
54 camel
10 purple
12 green
8 mustard
18 rust
8 purple
38 bronze
10 camel
8 grey
40 rust
14 mustard
20 green
8 purple
42 camel
12 bronze
20 grey
8 rust
12 purple
6 camel
14 mustard
54 green
16 rust
12 grey
8 mustard
20 bronze
10 purple
12 camel
32 grey
10 rust
16 mustard

you'll need: 6oz wool of camel, 4 oz of greenish brown, 4 oz of rust, 4 oz of bronze, 3 oz each of purple, grey and mustard.
afterwards: make 7 tassels of each end, each made up of 1 foot strands of each of the 7 colours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home