Thursday, March 24, 2005

"I wish I had six arms..."


I rented a whole season of the "Young Ones" not long ago. I've been in sort of a disheveled mood lately and the show seemed to fit. In honor of Neil I cooked a pot of lentils and some brown rice to match. I did omit the part about spilling them on the floor.

Lentils
3 c.* lentils soaked at least 8 hours (pour them in the pot and cover them with water before you drag your stinkin' arse to work)
2 tbsp canola oil
4 cloves of garlic
1 large onion chopped
1 4 inch piece of ginger peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp garam marsala
2 tsp hot curry
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground mustard
3 cinnamon sticks
1 large lemon washed well

Rinse the lentils. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and saute the garlic and onion until tender. Add the spices and salt. Then add the lentils and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes stirring constantly and adding a little liquid (broth or water) to make sure they don't dry out. Cut the lemon in half and juice it into the lentils. Throw the lemon peel and the cinnamon sticks into the lentils. Pour enough water into the pot so that you have a little under a half an inch extra water above the lentils. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 45 minutes stirring regularly. Add more water if needed. Serve over hot rice.

By the way these taste fabulous the next day. And if you've gotten sick of them before their gone you can make fried lentil cakes. If I have the time, I'll explain later.

*Actually I think it was about 3 cups. I'm not sure I was sort of in a hurry.

Watching the Young Ones reminded me of my early 20s and living in a shithole with a handful of other poor struggling recent college graduates. Mak put up a post about creating a soundtrack for one's life, I was tempted to create my own list, but you know I have to admit my musical taste was stunted for a dark period in my early adolescence because I was shamed by some tart in junior high who decided that it was "stupid" to listen to whatever I was listening to at the time. Of course, when one grows older one realizes the error of one's ways. Regardless, here's my shot:


Opening Credits: STILL WORKING ON THIS
Adolescent moodswing: In My Room - Yaz or How Soon Is Now - Smiths
First Date: Book of Love - Elvis Costello
Falling In Love in the 80's: Rama Lama Lama - Paul Derrick
Love Scene: Too Drunk to Fuck - Dead Kennedys
Fight Scene: Battle Scene from Conan the Barbarian soundtrack
Dork Moment: Heart and Soul - played on a flat key
Breaking up: Why'd You Do It? - Marianne Faithful
3- 6 months after Breaking Up: She's a Brick House - Commodores
Nothing can stop me now: Sing, Sing Sing - Benny Goodman
Secret Love: Having a secret love is a pain in the ass.
Average Day: Lost in the Supermarket - The Clash
I'm in that kick your ass sort of mood day: My Way - Sid Vicious Version
Mental Breakdown: March of the Pigs - Nine Inch Nails
Driving to work: Highway to Hell - ACDC
Learning A Lesson: That crappy piano piece the main character played in the Joy Luck Club when she embarrassed herself in front of a whole audience because she kept flubbing up - This actually happened to me too, and I freaked out and ran out of the auditorium and out the door of the piano store, down a few blocks before my dad caught me. I was seven.
Flashback: My brain is so fried I don't have flashbacks
Regretting: Eyes of Lucy Jordan - Marianne Faithful or Don't We Hate It When Our Friends Are Successful Morrissey/Smiths
Happy Dance: Conversazione - Zerosospiro or Dipsy Doodle - Ella Fitzgerald
Long Night Alone: Stars Fell on Alabama - Billie Holliday version
Death Scene: STILL WORKING ON THIS
Closing Credits: STILL WORKING ON THIS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home