Saturday, March 05, 2005

Stories to Exercise by

It's a known fact that as you grow older you grow hairier and fatter, literally a Ball of Fat. While my solution to the former is to pluck more frequently, I've come to the grim realization that if I don't want to balloon into a lyra denim beachball, I must visit the gym at least three to four times a week. Screw those "One-A-Day" commercials that tell me that I need to take their damn pills to stay thinner. Do I really need a commerical to tell me that my ass is getting bigger or that I cannot eat a whole piece of cheesecake after dinner as frequently as I once did in my 20's?

I came upon this understanding that my body is changing on my own, and I gradually began to accept the nature of my own metabolism along with the periodic bouts with mild arthritis. More, I'm aware that I not longer work in a profession where I'm constantly on my feet, so I need to balance my sedentary day with motion. I'm not the sort who needs or wants a partner to work out with because depending upon my mood I might be in I might stay longer or cut my workout short. In order to combat the tedium I usually read a short story or article while riding the cycle or on the earlier phase of the treadmill. This week I've been reading more of Guy de Maupassant's stories. Other than the "Necklace" and the "Ball of Fat," I had not read Maupassant since my highschool reading of the stories mentioned above. During my routine, I usually get through about two or three during my time on the bike excepting the last 5 minutes when I turn up the rigor.


In my quest to find more stories I actually came upon the Gutenberg Project, which is a wonderful on-line source of (out of print) literature. Most of Maupassant's stories are posted here. More, there's a wealth of literature available to you. When I owned a Mac with SimpleText I used to pop a chapter or two in a document and let the text reader speak it out loud while I was straightening out my apartment. Hence, I'd developed a cheap version of a book on tape. Of course the voice might sound a little tinny as it didn't exactly sound as if Glen Close was reading the text, and the pronunciation at times was terribly off, but I got by just fine.

On-line version of the stories of Guy de Maupassant:
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup?num=3090

Gutenberg Project Catalog:
http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/

Another gym reading suggestion Short Stories by Anton Chekov.
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/13418

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home