Friday, September 09, 2005

Project Managment... blah, blah, blah

I'm one of those people who really gets put off by things from the first impression I get. There I said it. When I first came to this group and sat in the various meetings I really felt as if people were wagging their tongues just to sound good. Program management... blah, blah, blah... Gantt Chart and stakeholder buyoff (sounded like beat off at first)... blah, blah, blah... Critical success indicators.... blah, blah, blah....

Fuck you all.... blah,blah,blah.

Learn to think for yourselves..... blah- blah- blah.

I frightened myself the other day because I sat in a meeting and realized that I was effectively speaking the language.

At the onset in this group... I felt as if I was retarded. People threw acronyms and business lingo as if they were slinging clever aphorisms or retorts, and although there are always people in an organization who simply just want to do good work and make great or good products there will always be those individuals who have to throw as many 35 cent acronymsas they can into their speech... or people who continually schedule meetings to make themselves look important (and then cancel them the day before so they don't have to do the work of attending the meetings or more or less owning the expected outcomes. I have to remember that there are still people who value quality and a job well done over quantity.

A friend of mine who works in an organization here discovered a group that basicially spent half their time trying to justify their existance with charts and spreadsheets... statistics and beefed and pimped up projects surrounding relatively simple and automatable processes. I have a few colleagues who feel that it's justifiable to pass on mediocre work because the system and organization does not afford them the time to do a better job. I told myself today.... I'm just going to ignore these people and work around them until I find a better job. Why should I let my own experience and accomplishments suffer because the standards I work amongst are lower than my own.

On another note... I found the time to post on my knitting blog.
http://lolocoknitter.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home