Sunday, October 23, 2005

Scones for all

I've been working nearly round the clock to get this project completed... at least my half of it. The sub team I'm working with was tasked with developing training for this major application that will hit the company finance orgs globally... Here's the thing... the tool is a MAJOR piece of shit... a fucking Access Database held together with poorly written code and band aids.

But damn it, why do I do this? I just cannot put my name next to a piece of crap so I work day and night to make sure that the training looks good, and all the pieces needed for a good implementation are all set in a row. I can make a pretty elearning and nicely written student handbooks, but if I don't have my communication pieces, my website, my course access, and course credit mechanism, my online survey, my rooms, and my instructors all chipper, than what good will my training be? Then I still need to go back and make sure that all the verbs in any text is in active voice.

All in all I'm still putting Martha Stewart wrapping paper and custom cut out tags around a box of shit.

I've decided not to go to the project update meetings anymore because they have resorted to yelling at each other and either accusing on another of not meeting their deliverables or demanding that the project be held back (which it actually should, but the bobbing heads at the top of the project are still going to ram the thing through before the end of the year.)


I needed a break around 9 PM last night. Here's how lame I've become: I don't head for a bar... I head for the all night gourmet grocery store... I drug J along with me. We found a jar of clotted cream and of course bought it even though it was six dollars.

So naturally:


Scones
2 1/2 c. flour + extra
1/4 c. sugar
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp. European grade unsalted butter (has less moisture than Yank butter)
1/2 c. sour milk (milk +1/4 tsp cider vinegar)
2 tsp. vanilla

Mix all dry ingredients in the food processor. Gradually add the butter cut into chunks into the food processor and mill until you have a course meal. Mix the vanilla with the sour milk and pour into the four mixture... pulsing all the while until you have a soft dough. Note, if you don't have a food processor, you can mix all your ingredients by hand with a pastry cutting tool.

Turn the dough out into a well floured surface and roll or pat down to 1 inch thickness. Cut into squares with a square biscuit cutter. Then cut the squares into triangles.

Place on cookie sheets at least 1 1/2 inches apart and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. or until lightly browned on the tops. Serve with jams and clotted cream.

We were able to enjoy this morning with what remains of the strawberry preserves we made earlier this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home