Sunday, February 05, 2006

I did it to keep my job

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/steffy/3635913.html

So said one of the former Enron executives. In my mind I embellish the moment by imagining the crappy pencilled court drawing of him cradling his sobbing head in his trembling hands. Like that would ever happen. I feel that it's these sort of know-nothings who perpetuate corporate ills. Not only that, they don't encourage assessment and addressing of company problems. Within my own company I've seen evidence of people on the higher and lower ends not raise flags to problems large and small because they don't want to be the 'downer.' They don't want to rock the boat. They don't want it to reflect on their performance review.

Enron seems to be the poster child of corporuptations or corporate corruption gone awry, but I feel that it's the "60 minute" story that highlights what's really wrong with with the corporate environment today: False optimism and denial.

Maybe it's me, and maybe one day my head will roll, but I can't live my life without standing by the idea that the world can be better when we do two things: 1.) acknowledge the truth 2.) stand by the idea that quality is king/queen. I've been trying to work on honing down my cantankyrus demeanor. It's been hard, but a friend of mine at work shared a tool that he uses to influence others positively. If I could make a prayer cards with these sayings I would. Every Catholic kid who sat outside the vestibule/church thumbing through the church bulletins and pamphlets while their parents were busy socializing at church knows what these are. Kids like to collect things especially shiny glossy bits of paper.

To build relationships to get better results some opening phrases to use. Much of it is touchy feely biz-u speak, but still a lot of it makes common sense and when in Rome... Of course when applying words sincerity should be a must.

In my time of need... when I want to say what's on my mind...

I suggest/propose/recommend...
What if...
Here's an idea...
It's important to me
I need...

When I need to convince others of the value of my idea...
Here's why...
There are a few reasons why I think this would benefit blank...
I've looked into the possibility for blank and here are my results...
We are (both/all) concerned about the following...
This could help us achieve (common goal)...

When I need to gain alignment/foster enthusiasm...
Here's what I believe is possible...
Picture this...
I can see us...
We are capable of...
I believe that as a team..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home